Friday, July 5, 2013

Carole Pope - Nothing But A Heartache / I'm Not Blind (1988)

There's really not much I need to tell you about Carole Pope that you can't find on the internet.  Simply put, she's a Canadian icon, originally one half of new wave hit-makers Rough Trade (hits include "High School Confidential" and "Crimes Of Passion") and an ex-lover of Dusty Springfield.  But after leaving Rough Trade, her solo career was very sporadic.  This was her first (and only?) solo single, released independently.  "Nothing But A Heartache", a remake of the Flirtations classic, is a synth-rock song, and "I'm Not Blind" is a lovely ballad.  Seven years later, in 1995, she finally released the mini-album Radiate on her own label Le Petite Mort Records.  She wouldn't release another album, Transcend, until 2005, also on her label.  She also released a collection of remixes of the album the same year, and finally released another album, Landfall, in 2011.  These later albums are much more electro-based and are quite tasty.  You can get them, and other albums, on her website.  But for now enjoy this rarity from a true legend.

Download Nothing But A Heartache / I'm Not Blind

1 Heartache (Repomix)
2 I'm Not Blind (Radio Mix)
3 Heartache (Remix)
4 I'm Not Blind (Acoustic Mix)
5 Heartache (Heat Mix)

13 comments:

  1. I had no idea there was something before Radiate, which I picked up on a trip to Toronto years ago. Thanks for filling in the gap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't heard this in years! great!

    also please check out my 80s remixes@ http://magnum1971mixes.blogspot.co.uk/

    this site is ace!,do you want to exchange blog addresses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this and Stiletto Fetish. Some obscure Toronto music. Would you happen to have the "Bobby & Cynthia 36 hours" EP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. And sorry, I don't have that EP.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for this.....I too have this 12" record that I bought at Sam The Record Man back in the day....I've been yearning to hear I'm Not Blind for such a long time again...Thanks for posting! I remember taping the black and white video for this on VHS....Best break up song ever.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thanks. I actually play the Freemason's remake of this out, and suspected it was a remake! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQjjKuhkJ4c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Carole's version is also a remake of the Flirtations song from the 1960's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97zgi3Ri2Go Thanks for this message, as I forgot to mention that in the post. :)

      Delete
  6. Im excited to finally find this after a few decades

    Plz excuse me for smelling new , how do i download this ?

    Where is the link ?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just click on the song title beside the word 'Download". ;)

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this. I saw the black and white video for this when it came out on MuchMusic. I have been searching for this for years. Just wanted to express my appreciation for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you reup this
    thank you

    ReplyDelete

REMEMBER to let me know if any links are down in the COMMENTS of whatever song you're looking for and I'll try to reup them ASAP. :)